Founded in 2007, University School of the Lowcountry (USL) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, independent school in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. We serve grades 3-12 in a co-educational and non-sectarian environment. USL has been accredited by the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA) since 2008.
MISSION & CORE PRINCIPLES
University School of the Lowcountry is an independent, co-educational, non-sectarian school that offers a challenging and individualized curriculum. It fosters high academic achievement and emphasizes balanced growth – intellectually, physically, emotionally, ethically, and socially – for every student. Within a highly supportive community, USL is committed to maintaining a caring and creative environment that encourages children to love learning, take intellectual risks, self-advocate, treat others with respect and empathy, and aspire to make a positive difference in the greater community and world.
THE FIVE PILLARS
University School of the Lowcountry is designed for learners who exhibit the following characteristics:
Curiosity: This comes first, because without curiosity a student has no desire to learn, and in return, they will not learn as much as they could.
Work Ethic: Being a hard worker is very important. You could be extremely smart. However, if you do not work diligently, you will not develop the habit to accomplish your goals and responsibilities.
Kindness: A student must be kind and respectful of others. Bullying is not tolerated at USL.
Intellect: Being intelligent is another prerequisite for USL. Smart does not only mean that a student excels on tests, but they also must be logical, able to think through a problem, and make connections — called “links”.
Empathy: The ability to place oneself in another person’s shoes in order to understand his/her perspective and situation is invaluable to better navigate the world around oneself.
- An 8:1 student to teacher ratio.
- Inquiry-based, hands-on curriculum that features multiple teaching styles and multiple forms of assessment.
- Regular service to and involvement with the greater community.
- Significant academic accomplishments by our students:
- More than 40% of students recognized by Duke University’s Talent Identification Program (TIP) since our founding
- 3+ languages learned (Spanish, Latin, Mandarin (IS only), Hebrew & Arabic)
- Award winning Quiz Bowl and Math Meet teams
- National Merit Scholarship Program Commended Student recognition
- Our hallmark Learning Outside the Classroom experiences, engaging students in areas such as:
- Faith Exploration
- Citizenship & Government
- Financial aid available for up to 90% of the tuition rate
DISCOVER MORE OF USL THROUGH…
Upper School Highlights
REFLECTIONS & PICTURES FROM PRIOR YEARS
2007-2008 | 2008-2009 | 2009-2010 | 2010-2011 | 2011-2012 | 2012-2013 | 2013-2014
2014-2015 | 2015-2016